Monday, August 25, 2008

Me time... how important it is!

In today's culture women have so many high ideals to try to live up to. Many of us have found ourselves contributing financially to the family as well as still trying to take care of everyone else's needs and desires. This often times leaves us feeling needed but not worth anything because we are the ones primarily giving of ourselves, we have little time or effort left to take care of ourselves, and there's no one taking care of us.

Think about that a little. How do we expect to do a good job with a happy heart when we are burning the candle at both ends? God expects us to care for those around us, but we need to be sure we are cared for as well. This is something I have personally been working on and I have found so much truth in.

My husband has so lovingly told me for a long time that I need to stop running all the time and enjoy a little time everyday for myself. Have I been good about doing it? Well... not really. Not until recently that is.

I used to think that "someday" I would have time to stop for bubble baths, a movie I'd wanted to watch, a good book, or a day out with my girlfriend. I figured I would have time for it when I was done with college, then it was when I had good job, then after I had a baby. I was always trying to make excuses for not taking care of myself and allowing myself some down time. I found out that that extra time never just happens, you have to make it happen.

I've been trying
to make a small space in my day where I sit down for even a few minutes just for me. I might have a cup of coffee, read from a devotional or my Bible, or listen to some good Christian music or my favorite show on the radio. I find that I have to truly make an effort to do this, but it is so rewarding.

I've found that on the days where I've spent just a few minutes for me, aside from devotional time, the day goes much smoother and I am much kinder at the end of it all.

How hard it is to tell yourself you deserve a little "me" time. I struggle almost every time I stop for it. There always seems to be so much to do and not enough time to do it, but I'm always so much better off if I can just make it happen. My husband can usually tell a difference too.

Try it, you just might be a better person for it. :)

How do you take a little time for yourself? Do you?

No comments:

fireproofbanner